Thursday, April 9, 2009

What doesn't kill you

Wednesday night's ride home from work was brutal. It sucked. It hurt. It was scary. And I kind of liked it...because I'm sick that way. 20 mph headwinds the whole way with gusts up to 29 mph. At one point I actually had to ride the sidewalk because I wasn't able to keep my bike in the bike lane safely. My parents and sister are nuts for riding motorcycles. Nuts.

The positive from this ride was that mentally it was a great workout. The frustration, fear, and challenge are all things that are present on race day. It is almost impossible to create adversity for yourself in training, which is why days like yesterday are so important and pushing through is so valuable in training.

The other positive was that I was supposed to have four hill climbs in yesterday's workout, but my route was totally flat so having to stand just to make forward progress on the gusty flats was a great substitute.

Solid lift session at the gym this morning and no other training for today. Resting up a little bit for a big weekend of training. I've got some calf cramping going on at the office today so I'll break out the stick and foam roller for the office and parks and recreation tonight.

No comments: