Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Track

Love/Hate
That's my relationship with track workouts. Mentally I love a track workout more than any other kind of workout because it is so easily quantifiable and very straightforward. Physically I hate track workouts because they are brutal (but I secretly love this).

One of the main reasons I decided to get into triathlon in 2008 was to overcome chronic knee pain from a past injury (torn PCL and meniscus). I was playing competitive ultimate frisbee and it got to the point where I was in significant pain every day. I finally decided that I was too young to live that way and gave up playing ultimate for the 2008 season. I had the choice to go under the knife for exploratory surgery, but I decided to take up triathlon for a year hoping that the multi sport lifestyle would help my recovery and build some new strength. It has been a great experience so far (year one has turned into year two), but running on the track still brings back the pain that has otherwise been absent for the past year and a half. Bummer.

I am so fortunate to have a gym, pool, and track at work. So sweet. Today's punishment will be repeated on Thursdays for the next three weeks.

Wednesday

60 min pm trainer ride - tough mentally and physically

Thursday

1.5 mile warm up
4x600 (400 level 5, 200 level 4) complete recovery after each set and on a 5 point scale where 5 is 100%.
1.5 mile cool down

1 comment:

Erin said...

I do not like track workouts! I talked to pro triathlete (and runner extraordinaire) Chris Foster a while ago and he said he never ever does track workouts, he just does intervals on whatever course he's running around town to keep it fun.

Of course, he was also born with a gene that allows him to kick anyone's ass in any running event...maybe we should keep at the track workouts to get faster...I make no sense...or point...I'll shut up now.