Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What's going on...

I'm really struggling with balancing work, life, and training these days. That sounds like a bad thing, but I think it is a necessary part of being the best I can be across all aspects of my life. I just didn't think it would be three weeks into the season that I would find myself here.

Last Thursday night I packed a bag, my SS, and my bike gear into the car and set the alarm for 4:45am. I had made the decision to drive up to Las Vegas to support this year's Carleton Ultimate Team in Trouble in Vegas, the first big tournament of the college ultimate frisbee season. I planned for three days of riding Bootleg Canyon, coaching, drinking, and escaping all the anxiety and stress back in Arizona. Mission accomplished - but with very little riding.

I'll post a full review of my ride in BC soon. I had a blast this weekend, despite the miserable conditions (rain, wind, cold, and more rain). The only problem was that it got me thinking a lot more about playing Ultimate than racing triathlons. The team aspect, all the years I've devoted to the sport, the success and accomplishment, all of that weighed on me as I drove home from Vegas.

The only training I did Thursday-Monday was a 1.5 hr MTB ride on Friday and 45 min on the trainer last night. Today I'm scheduled for a decent run during lunch. I'm finding it hard to focus on these workouts or the upcoming season and have been thinking more about spring tryouts for ultimate. This may just be the letdown from a fabulous weekend, but it is something I'm going to have to figure out soon.

Stay tuned for tons of pics from the weekend and my BC report.

No comments: