Friday, May 2, 2008

Back in action

One week ago I was on the road to Georgia for the first XTERRA of the season. I had no idea what to expect, but I’m growing more excited about the prospect of continuing to compete in the American Tour Points Series. I learned some valuable lessons, not all of which I’m aware of yet, and I have four weeks of training before the Southeast Regional Championships. This championship race in Alabama will attract racers from all over the country who are trying to qualify for the World Championships in Hawaii. The pro purse of 20,000 will mean there are going to be some amazing athletes in attendance. So, not only will it be extremely competitive, but it will be an official XTERRA distance race – a long and difficult course (1.5k swim, 29k MTB, 10k run).
I’ve been traveling for work this week and that made finding time for training difficult. This week it has been one easy run and two light weight sessions. Although the easy run was a long endurance climb in beautiful Arizona. I’m excited to get back into training this weekend, kicking things off with the Dirt Sweat and Gears Race down in Fayetteville, TN. A 12 hour race with 4 buddies promises to be more than a good time. The SS is still out of commission after last week’s race so I’ll get to spend plenty of time in the saddle of the new race bike that I’ve ridden very little. It should be a great day if the weather can hold off a bit. I’m headed down early on Saturday and camping out Saturday night – good times!

No comments: