Friday, August 1, 2008

Getting Ready

Amanda and I leave in the morning for Snow Valley!!!  I'm so psyched to have her there with me as a support crew and so she can see me race this year!  She's only been to one XTERRA race and that was my very first one over a year ago.  She finally gets to see what all the early mornings and long weekend rides are about.  I know that having her there will make me calmer and make the weekend less stressful - which means I can race my best.  I'm feeling pretty lucky to have her since she spent last weekend in the car driving solo from Tennessee to Arizona.  Thanks Babe!
 
The best part of the race this weekend (in addition to seeing guys like James Walsh and Conrad Stoltz throw down) is going to be thinking about nothing but racing for as long as I'm on the course.  This week has been particularly stressful with a close family member in the hospital for surgery, Amanda arriving in Phoenix, closing on our first house, and preparing for the wild-ride that accompanies a new fall semester at the university.  The thought of all of that drifting to the background while I curse my way up some gnarly slopes at 7,300ft sounds sweet. 

Today I wrap things up at the office, start packing for the weekend, and start to carefully watch my hydration and nutrition to go into the weekend in top shape.  I've been taking care of myself this week while still getting in some solid training.  I can't wait to test my fitness this weekend and see a part of the country that is totally new to me.  We sure don't have any ski resorts in Nashville.  To everyone who will be there this weekend I can't wait to say hello.  For everyone following back home I'll put some race results up as soon as I can.

Race Week Training:
Tuesday: 2,200m AM Swim / 3 mile run with Amanda then 1/2 mile hill repeats on my own - legs are feeling worn down so I wore tights to bed
Wednesday: AM slept in / PM put on a 25# weight vest and hit the canal for a hard 10 mile bike followed by 1/2 mile hill repeats - may have been too much weight this close to the race as I came away feeling pretty beat up with a very tender R calf and knee.
Thursday: AM Swim - 200m warm-up, 1000m at race pace, and then some goofing off enjoying having an outdoor pool to myself / PM relaxing with Amanda in the pool at home working out house closing and remodeling details
Friday: Maybe a light afternoon run (although it hits 115 here today).  I'm feeling stronger and less sore from the week so I should be in great shape for Sunday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Garret,
Good Luck! We're rooting for you.
Love, Pam and Stan