Friday, March 28, 2008

The Day Before

Today is the day before my first race of the season. First “race” may be a little strong as I am using Saturday’s 15k trail run more as a training tool than an actual race. I haven’t tapered my training at all, and since next week is a recovery week, the volume and intensity of my training has been peaking the past two weeks. I’m pretty anxious about tomorrow’s event for a couple reasons. The first is that I’m not a huge fan of running. Coming from a background in swimming and competitive sports that involve running + other skills/objects, the concept of just running does not totally appeal to me. If triathlons started with a run I don’t think I ever would have tried one. The second reason I’m anxious is that I’ve never run a 15k in my life. I’ve done a handful of 5ks and 10ks, but considering the longest run in the XTERRA triathlon circuit is a 10k, this is more than a little overtraining at this point in my career. I am excited to push myself at the end of 10 hard weeks of training and see where I am in my fitness. It is also a great opportunity to try out gear and a nutrition plan. I know I’ll have great support from A (who is the natural runner) and there should be plenty of good pictures. More to come….

2 comments:

Cooper said...

Garret, good luck tomorrow, man. Imagine a nice five stroke breathing pattern when your cranking out those 15 kilometers.

GW said...

Thanks Coop!