Thursday, January 31, 2008

In the water



I’ve always loved the water, but last night my parents provided new insight into why I feel so comfortable and fast in the stuff. Turns out that at 6 months my mom placed me on the edge of a pool, blew air in my face so I took a deep breath, and then shoved me into the water. I mastered this quickly. Next my parents were standing in the pool and taking turns blowing in my face and then pushing me under the water. They insist that I instinctively knew how to swim to the other one. Regardless of how I learned to avoid drowning swim, I am extremely grateful. I’m a strange breed of triathlete, in that I love swim workouts, and can’t wait to be back in the pool. Of course, my former and current teammates all insist that my gifts in the water have nothing to do with childhood exposure or years of hard work, but insist that my talent is because I’m a genetic freak with webbed toes.



I don’t care if it’s the early exposure or the toes, but whatever it is it makes water feel like a second home.

No comments: